Today we offer the topic: “fish casserole with potatoes” from professional anglers. We tried to reveal the topic as fully as possible. You can ask all questions in the comments after the article.
Hello dear viewer! Can you make a good potato casserole? Do you know how to make a good fishy potato casserole? Do you know how to make an EXCELLENT potato fish casserole? If not, then you should definitely see my recipe. In it, I’ll show you how to make a great onion and milk sauce so that the casserole is not dry. I will show you how to properly make mashed potatoes for a casserole. In general, repeat my recipe, and you will definitely be satisfied.
Ingredients for Excellent Potato Fish Casserole:
- Cod (other fish is possible) – 600 g
- Onions (small) – 2 pieces
- Chicken egg – 1 pc
- Egg yolk – 1 pc
- Wheat flour / Flour (without a slide) – 3 tbsp. l.
- Soft cheese (parmesan is better, but if it is not there, it will be like Dutch) – 50 g
- Cream (fattest) – 100 ml
- Milk – 300 ml
- Potatoes – 1 kg
- Dill (bunch) – 1 piece
- Butter – 3 tbsp. l.
- Salt – 1 tsp
- White pepper – 1/2 tsp.
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Well, of course, you first need to peel and boil the potatoes. The peeled potatoes must be cut into small pieces, about 3-4 cm in size. Such potato pieces will be boiled for 15 minutes.
- We make mashed potatoes from boiled potatoes, kneading it.
- We need to make a dressing for mashed potatoes and mix it well into the potatoes. For the dressing, lightly beat a mixture of cream, eggs and yolk. You can immediately salt and pepper this dressing and then mix with potatoes. As you can imagine, one of the layers is ready – potatoes.
- Now let’s prepare the first fish layer. Cut the fish into small (but not small) pieces (about 3-4 cm each) and put them in a greased baking dish.
- Now let’s make milk filling for the fish. First, finely chop the onion and fry it over medium heat in 2 tbsp. tablespoons of butter. You need to fry for about 6-8 minutes. The onion will become soft and golden.
- Then melt one more spoonful of butter, add flour and fry it with onions for another 2 minutes. Stir constantly.
- After 2 minutes, pour in the milk. We put the comfort on maximum heat and cook, stirring occasionally until the sauce begins to thicken. This will happen quickly enough, in just a couple of minutes.
- Salt and pepper the sauce, add chopped dill, stir and remove from heat.
- Pour the fish in a mould with this sauce and smooth it
- Put the mashed potatoes on top and level. For beauty, you can make something like waves with a spoon dipped in water.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Ideally, sprinkle with good Parmesan.
- But if you live in a country suffering from sanctions and you don’t have Parmesan cheese, any delicious cheese will do. I use “Dutch” Belarusian production
- We bake in an oven preheated to 180 degrees for 20 minutes
- In general, everything. And goodbye, a few pictures of the finished casserole
Casseroles can be attributed to one of the simplest, easiest and most delicious dishes that even a novice cook can easily prepare. And today I decided to share with you a new recipe for a potato casserole with fish, which we will bake in the oven. When ready-made, such a casserole turns out to be very juicy, fragrant and tender – a great option for a family lunch or dinner.
This inexpensive recipe for a second course of fish can always be customized – take almost any sea fish with white meat (hake, pangasius, cod, halibut, sole) and low bone content. By the way, I never buy frozen fillets – after thawing, only 60 percent of the fish remains from the original mass, and the rest is water. It is better (albeit longer) to fille the defrosted carcasses on your own.
In many ways, the taste and texture of the finished casserole depend on the potatoes. In other words, you must understand that you can hardly expect a tasty and tender result from old, sluggish and substandard root crops. Take the proven varieties that you personally like, and then the potato casserole with fish will definitely not disappoint you.
To prepare a tasty, juicy and aromatic potato-fish casserole, we need the following ingredients: potatoes, any sea fish with white meat, carrots, onions, sour cream, refined vegetable oil, salt and black pepper.
- First of all, we peel the onions and carrots – I give a lot of these vegetables in an already peeled form.
- Pour refined vegetable (I have sunflower) oil into a large frying pan and heat it up. Cut the peeled onions into half rings of medium thickness and send them in hot oil to fry over medium heat until transparent.
- When the onion has softened, add carrots to it, which we grind on a coarse grater. Now we simmer everything under a lid on a heat slightly below medium, until the vegetables are slightly browned and are almost ready. Salt to taste and turn off the heat.
- Now let’s go fishing. I always buy exclusively carcasses, and not clean fillets, so I process the fish myself. We need to get a boneless fillet, but the skin can be left on. Just scrape it when you cut the carcasses so that there are definitely no scales left.
- Cut the fish fillet into small pieces – about 2×2 centimetres, you do not need any smaller pieces. Salt to taste and mix everything. The fish is prepared.
- All that remains is to peel the potatoes. I advise you to choose medium-sized tubers, although this is not essential.
- Cut the potatoes into thin slices – about 5 mm. The thinner you cut them, the faster they will bake in the oven.
- Putting together the casserole. We take a suitable sized baking dish (I have a rectangular 20×30 centimetres) and put potato slices into it, not forgetting to add a little salt to each layer. Just do not put the circles directly on top of each other – better randomly.
- Then put the fish pieces in an even layer. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay the carrots and onions on top. We also send the oil in which the vegetables were prepared in the form – there is very little of it.
Lubricate vegetables with sour cream – the more there is, the tastier the casserole will be.
We wrap the form with cling film so that the casserole does not dry out and retains its juiciness. We put in a preheated oven on a medium level and cook at 200 degrees.
The cooking time for potato casserole with fish depends on the variety and age of the potatoes, as well as the thickness of the slices, so I will not say exactly by the minute. Just after 30 minutes, remove the foil and check the readiness of the potatoes – pierce it with a knife or fork. If the potatoes are still damp, bake them again. Then let the sour cream brown for about 5 minutes and you’re done.
Serve our aromatic casserole hot, cut into portions. Personally, I really like it even when cold.
Fresh vegetables and aromatic greens go well with this simple and delicious main course. If you haven’t tried the Fish Potato Casserole, be sure to make one for your family!
Option 1. The classic recipe for potato casserole with fish
The potato and fish casserole is made from available ingredients. Any fish can be used. For a tasty casserole, use potatoes that boil well.
- kg of potatoes;
- a pinch of freshly ground black pepper;
- kg of pollock;
- table salt – 5 g;
- 450 g carrots;
- 100 ml grows. oils;
- 300 ml sour cream;
- 350 g of onions.
Step-by-step recipe for potato casserole with fish
Peel the carrot bulbs and root vegetables and wash them. Chop the onion with rings of medium thickness. Put it in a skillet with hot oil and fry, stirring regularly, until transparent over medium heat. Large three carrots and add to the onion. Twist the fire a little, cover with a lid and simmer until lightly browned. Salt, stir and remove from heat.
We wash the carcasses, scrape the skin with a sharp knife so that the scales remain. We cut the fish into fillets, looking carefully so that there are no small bones left. Cut the fillet into small pieces. Put on a plate, salt and stir.
Peel the potatoes, wash and cut into thin slices. Lightly coat the baking dish with butter and lay out the potatoes in even layers, each slightly salt. Lay the fish pieces on top. Pepper and salt. Cover a layer of fish with carrots and onions. Liberally coat with sour cream. Cover with foil and place on the middle level of the oven. We bake at 200 C for half an hour, then remove the foil and cook for the same amount of time.
The thinner you cut the potatoes, the faster the casserole will cook. Chop the fish into slices of medium thickness so that it does not lose its shape during baking.
Option 2. A quick recipe for potato casserole with fish
Potato fish casserole is a hearty and simple dish that doesn’t take a lot of time and effort to prepare. The potatoes can be cut into thin slices, or, as in this recipe, mashed.
- 450 g salmon or cod fillet;
- 10 stalks of parsley;
- 230 g smoked salmon or cod fillet;
- 1 bay leaf;
- 150 ml of milk;
- 1 slice of lemon;
- 150 ml of filtered water;
- 450 g mashed potatoes;
- ¼ packs of oil drain .;
- 25 g flour;
- 30 g chopped fresh parsley.
How to Quickly Make Fish Potato Casserole
We turn on the oven at 190 C. Clean the fish, wash and cut into large pieces. Put it in a saucepan, put a slice of lemon, bay leaf and parsley stalks. Fill with water and milk. We put on a low heat and cook for 15 minutes. Drain the broth and filter it through a sieve.
Cool the fish, remove the bones and remove the skin from the fillet. Melt the butter in a thick-walled saucepan. Add flour and cook over low heat for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly. Introduce 300 ml of fish broth in a thin stream, continuously stirring intensively. Cook for a couple more minutes. Remove from heat, put the fish, chopped parsley in the sauce and squeeze the lemon juice. Pepper, mix.
Lubricate the deep heat-resistant form with oil. Put the fish sauce into it. Cover it with mashed potatoes. Lay out pieces of butter on top. We put in the oven for 20 minutes.
It will take less time to make the casserole if you use the finished mashed potatoes left over from lunch or dinner. Be sure to strain the broth to make it transparent.
Option 3. Potato casserole with fish and green peas
Potato casserole with fish under a cheese crust is a hearty and beautiful dish that can be served for dinner or lunch. Green peas add freshness.
- 550 g potatoes;
- 200 g of Russian cheese;
- 150 g green peas;
- 30 g plums. oils;
- 150 g fillet of salmon, salmon or trout;
- 1 egg;
- 100 g of premium flour.
How to cook
Peel and wash potato tubers. We put it in a saucepan with water, salt and cook under the lid for half an hour. Drain the water, put the butter and knead the mashed potatoes. Cool it down.
Drive an egg into the cooled mashed potatoes, pepper and season with nutmeg. Knead it again. Sift flour in mashed potatoes and mix. We turn on the oven at 190 degrees.
Large three cheese. Cut the fish fillet into small chunks. Combine the cheese, leaving a little for sprinkling, with green peas and cheese. We mix.
We distribute the puree on the bottom and walls of the form in an even layer. Put the filling in the middle. Sprinkle with cheese shavings. We put in the oven for 20 minutes. As soon as the surface is browned, remove from the oven and cool.
The mashed potatoes should be thick enough. You can cook it with potato broth or milk. Be sure to check fish fillets for small bones.
Option 4. Potato casserole with fish and mushrooms in a creamy sauce
The dish will appeal to those who like hearty and tasty food. Several types of cheese that are used to make casseroles will make it taste unique. Mushrooms add flavor.
- 600 g pangasius;
- fresh herbs;
- 600 g potatoes;
- 150 g of champignons;
- 130 g mozzarella;
- 120 g onions;
- 200 ml cream 36%;
- 100 g carrots;
- 30 g kimchi sauce;
- 5 cloves of garlic;
- 30 g of grana padao cheese;
- 80 g bell pepper;
- 70 g celery stalk.
Step by step recipe
Wash the peeled potato tubers and cut into 5 m thick circles. Dry the vegetable and fry the slices over high heat on both sides.
Peel and chop the rest of the vegetables in approximately equal pieces. Put everything in a preheated deep frying pan with oil and fry until half cooked. Peel and chop the garlic cloves. Add to the rest of the vegetables. Stir, cook for another two minutes, and remove from heat.
Wash the fish fillets and cut into thin slices. Place the fried potatoes on the bottom of a greased deep pan, lightly salt and pepper. Arrange the fish slices on top. Season with spices and cover with an even layer of grilled vegetables. Top with peeled and finely chopped mushrooms. Spread the potato slices in the last layer.
Pour cheese into the cream, chopped on the finest grater. Add kimchi sauce and finely chopped herbs. Shake well. Pour the sauce over the casserole and place in the oven for 25 minutes. Bake at 170 degrees. Sprinkle mozzarella on the casserole and keep in the oven until browned.
Fry potatoes until half cooked. Cool the casserole until warm before slicing. Serve with a salad of fresh or pickled vegetables.
Option 5. Potato casserole with fish and tomatoes
A tasty and easy meal for a family dinner. A casserole for a holiday can be prepared with salmon or salmon fillets. So it will turn out not only tasty but also beautiful in the context.
- ½ kg of potatoes;
- 3 sprigs of parsley;
- 500 g fillet of pollock or other fish;
- dry basil;
- eight tomatoes;
- 100 g of hard cheese;
- 3 onion heads;
- 30 ml grows. oils;
- 150 ml cream 10%;
- 2 eggs of the first category.
How to cook
Chop the peeled onions into thin quarter rings. Fry the vegetable in vegetable oil until golden brown.
Boil the potatoes in their skins, cool and peel. Grind the tubers in coarse sections. Season with pepper, salt and dry basil. Mix well.
Wash the fish fillets, pat dry with napkins and cut into slices. Cut the washed tomatoes in half. Place the grated potatoes in a silicone mold, pressing lightly. Spread the fried onions over the potatoes. Place pollock slices in the next layer. Season with pepper and salt. Cover the fish with tomato halves, cut down. Sprinkle generously with cheese shavings.
Whip eggs with cream, pepper and salt. Pour the resulting mixture into the contents of the form and put in an oven preheated to 180 C for 45 minutes.
You can cut the potatoes into thin slices. For the casserole, use chilled fish fillets instead of frozen.
What I like about this recipe for making fish casserole with potatoes is that you can use a wide variety of fish: both elite red and budget pollock. Oddly enough, children like the second more.
- Fish fillet 250 Gram
- Potatoes 500 Gram
- Milk 1 Glass
- Eggs 7-10 Pieces
- Onion 1 Piece
- A bunch of dill 1 Piece
- Salt To taste
- Ground allspice To taste
- Vegetable oil 2-3 Art. spoons
- First, peel and finely chop the onion.
- Wash the potatoes, peel them, rinse and cut into small cubes.
- Fry the potatoes in a well-heated frying pan with vegetable oil, then add the onions to it and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Our task is to make the vegetable golden-brown; they do not need to be brought to full readiness. Don’t forget to add salt at the end!
- Wash, dry and chop the dill.
- Separate the fish fillet from the skin and cut into small pieces.
- Mix all ingredients and transfer to a greased form.
- Beat eggs with milk, salt and spices.
- Pour the contents of the form, sprinkle with dill and send to the oven preheated to 180C for about half an hour. Cut the finished casserole into portions and serve warm.
1 hour 10 minutes
- Wash the fish fillets, dry with paper towels and cut into portions.
- Wash, peel and cut the potatoes into large cubes or slices.
- Wash, peel and cut the carrots into cubes.
- Peel the onion and cut into rings.
- Put the fish fillets in a greased baking dish, season with salt and pepper.
- Top with potatoes, salt and pepper.
- A layer of onions, add a little salt and pepper.
- Pour mayonnaise on the casserole.
- Bake fish and vegetables in the oven at 180 ° C for about 40 minutes.
Fish baked with onions and carrots under a cheese-mayonnaise crust
Mackerel baked with potatoes and bell peppers
Baked fish fillet with garlic, parsley and oregano
Fish baked with onions and carrots under a cheese-mayonnaise crust
Thank You! for reading this Tutorial. Have a nice day!🎣