Over time, baitcasting reels and casting tackle have become an indispensable attribute of river fishing. Previously, such tackles were considered an innovation, and their owner looked like a black sheep among other anglers who used conventional spinning tackle.
In order for fishing to bring only one pleasure, many in their arsenal have both types of tackle: casting and spinning. Moreover, such equipment can now be found not only at professional tournaments but also on ordinary fishing. Spinning reels and rods have been considered many times, but multiplier reels, which are often called “cartoons” by fishermen among themselves, are not yet entirely known for some. That is why we will talk about them in more detail.
Many anglers say that once having used a multiplier reel, there will be no desire to return to the old “meat grinders”. However, a complete replacement of the tooling will entail considerable costs. You can also often come across conversations that new equipment will take a very long time to get used to and that the process of mastering it will bring a lot of trouble.
Indeed, “cartoons” work on a completely different principle and have different characteristics, which affects the process of passing fishing. In order to fish again without hassle, you just need to understand the principle of its work. The first acquaintance rarely ends with a clue standing nearby (this is how many authors scare fishermen who want to try out “cartoons”).
The first time you fish, the difference between a beginner and a pro will be accuracy and casting distance. In most cases, there is no need to carry out long-distance casting, especially when fishing from a boat, and you need to put the spoon exactly at the driftwood only after gaining experience. Therefore, for a beginner, throwing 20 meters will allow for normal fishing.
Of course, this is not to say that baitcasting reels are the perfect choice for fishing. They also have disadvantages that will discourage some from using them.
FIRST, LET’S TALK ABOUT THE ADVANTAGES OF BAITCASTING REELS.
- Baitcasting reels have more power than spinning reels. This feature allows the use of larger baits, lines. Also, there will be more confidence when playing the trophy than when using the inertialess version. In addition, the high power rating makes the coil more versatile.
- The design is usually simpler and therefore more reliable. That is why “cartoons” are used in more loaded conditions. The simplicity of the design is one of the features that has led to the ever increasing popularity of this reel.
- When comparing coils that are in the same class, multipliers are generally cheaper. This feature can be associated with the simplicity of the design.
- The coils in question do not twist the cord at all.
- When playing trophy specimens or when fishing in difficult conditions, you can use a thick line. Despite the use of a thick cord, which can be from 20 lb, the request range is practically not affected. That is why multipliers are most suitable for fishing with large baits.
- The sensitivity and control is an order of magnitude higher than when using spinning reels, which is due to the design features.
- According to most anglers, “cartoons” are more conveniently located on the rod.
- Weight and dimensions are usually less with the corresponding power of the coils. Low weight and dimensions are due to the fact that there are no complex and bulky elements in the design, and the simplicity of operation allows for more convenient arrangement of all controls.
HIGHLIGHT THE DISADVANTAGES OF BAITCASTING REELS
- The braking system should be adjusted for each type and location of fishing. This feature is very inconvenient for inexperienced anglers. In the future, the brakes are set up quickly and in about one cast, the required parameters can be determined.
- It is very inconvenient to use light types of bait. It is generally accepted that if the bait weighs less than 5 grams, then working with such a reel is already inconvenient. There are versions that are designed for very light lures, but they are not even comparable to conventional spinning reels.
- Considering the fact that the multipliers are designed for fairly large baits, the rest of the tackle has a very impressive size. The choice of a rod should be approached thoroughly since the considered version of the reel design can withstand a rather large load. That is why, when it is possible to bite trophy fish, you should use rods and equipment that fit the reel.
- In the beginning, beards are possible. You can avoid such a phenomenon when casting if you take into account the recommendations for setting the brake and initial casting.
In general, it can be said that there are no problems that can prevent a beginner from quickly and successfully mastering this type of fishing. Multipliers have a large number of varieties, conditionally they can be divided into “soap dishes” and “kegs”. Most of the coils that can be found on the market are suitable for use in our waters.
The cartoonists of the “Keg” type were the first to gain popularity. They are more powerful, have a large weight and dimensions, are used when using large baits of about 20-30 grams. They can be used for both sea and river fishing.
The coil got a similar name because of its appearance. The design allows you to use a thick line, which is necessary when fishing with large lures. “Kegs” are preferred by lovers of jerk wiring when using large wobblers, since the design features make the coil immune to alternating and strong loads.
To summarize all the information about “kegs”, then when looking for a powerful, durable reel with good traction, it will be the best choice.
“Soap dishes” are used when fishing with lighter bait and when using a thin line. The design features provide a smaller bend angle of the line, as well as its free passage through the rings. These features allow long-distance casting with a relatively low weight of the bait.
This particular version is most popular among river fishing enthusiasts. Some anglers say that there are options for “soap boxes” that are convenient when fishing when using bait weighing up to 5 grams. However, we must admit that multipliers in this regard are losing to the usual “meat grinder”.
Modern technologies for the production of these reels provide for the use of magnesium and other light alloys, which facilitates the acceleration of the spool and makes the operation of the entire mechanism smooth and fast. These qualities of the reel are essential for light fishing. However, “soap dishes” can also be used when fishing with large lures.
Taking into account the fact that the multipliers have a simple and reliable design, with occasional use of large bait, you can also purchase a “soap dish”.
FEATURES OF USE
You cannot foresee all the moments and possible situations that arise for a beginner, but some that anglers sooner or later encounter will be considered further. In order to feel confident when using a baitcasting reel, it is recommended to take into account the following points: brake adjustment, casting technique, the importance of choosing the correct model, the need for periodic maintenance to extend the service life.
Ideally, someone who has experience should carry out this operation, but there is nothing complicated in this process. The design of the multipliers provides for the presence of two brakes: magnetic and centrifugal. The axial (centrifugal) has to be adjusted every time you change the bait, which will differ in weight. If you have some experience, changing the bait does not have much effect on the fishing process, but a beginner should pay attention to this point.
When casting, you should keep the rod in a horizontal position relative to the ground and release your finger from the spool, watch how the bait behaves. If the launched bait touches the water or the ground, and the spool continues to rotate, then the axle brake must be tightened. If the bait stops halfway, then release the axle brake. The regulator can always be found on the side of the coil.
With little experience of using the reel, the axial brake should be tightened to avoid “beards”. True, the casting distance will suffer somewhat.
A magnetic or centrifugal brake is responsible for braking the line already at the final stage of the cast. It rarely needs to be adjusted, and for this the coil cover is removed. It is recommended for a beginner to set the average value and until the moment when his work will be felt, it is not advised to climb into this setting.
CASTING TECHNIQUE USING A BAITCASTING REEL
In case of incorrect casting, even an effective braking system will not save you from “beards”. You can learn how to cast by reviewing various training lessons and schemes, from a friend who owns this tackle, or by studying the information below.
The main thing to remember is that you cannot cast from behind your head. First you need to learn how to do a side cast. First, switch the reel to the cast position, keep your finger on the spool and cast. At the moment of casting, release your finger from the spool.
When making the first cast, do not rely on long range, but beware of “beards” or the case when the hook clings to clothing. Also, during the throw, everyone who is around should be warned that this is the first throw. During the throw, keep your finger on the spool so that the line goes under your control, but there is no strong friction. Casting should be done so that the rod is facing the direction of the cast and the line is in a straight line. That is why it is recommended to train during calm periods.
The main mistake of many anglers who have switched from a “meat grinder” to a “cartoon” – they are trying to adapt the previous experience for a new reel. The error is due to the fact that the casting must be smooth and sharp movements will lead to big problems.
BAITCASTING REEL COST
The question of price always worries anglers. Also, a rather important factor can be called how long the new thing will last. Many anglers claim that even a beginner should use a reel that costs at least $ 250. However, when visiting a reservoir, you can meet a situation when a seasoned angler uses a reel that costs no more than $ 100.
It is rather difficult to give a clear recommendation on this issue. If the budget allows, then you can purchase an expensive reel, if not, then you can purchase something from the budget options. The main thing is not to delay the acquisition, as the learning process can take quite a long time.
This question can be approached in the following way: we purchase a baitcasting reel for the same price in the range of which the spinning reel was. This approach will allow you to compare the features of both types of coils.
When choosing, it is important to pay attention to which company is the manufacturer. Given the constant growth in the popularity of such coils, a large number of low-quality goods appear on the market that will not last long. Only reels from reputable manufacturers, mostly Japanese, live up to expectations. Their cost is slightly higher than products from lesser-known manufacturers. Shimano is one of the most popular companies that specializes in the production of fishing tackle.
MAINTENANCE AND CARE
It is often said that multipliers should be serviced frequently for their long service life. At the same time, many recommend carrying out maintenance after every 5th fishing trip. Despite the rather simple mechanism, the assembly and disassembly process brings some positive emotions. It can also be assumed that the opinion about the need for frequent maintenance was formed under the influence of service centers that make money from this.
If we summarize all the available information, we can conclude that it is not necessary to disassemble and service the coil more than twice a season if it has not got into the water or sand. You can also carry out maintenance yourself, since the design is much simpler than that of inertialess versions. After disassembly, it is necessary to lubricate all parts, for which a liquid or more viscous lubricant is used. You can find a large number of service manuals for certain coil models on the Internet, but you can do without them. If you encounter certain difficulties, you should contact the centers that specialize in the repair and maintenance of fishing tackle.
It is rather difficult to consider all the features of multiplier reels in one article, since every beginner has his own nuances while fishing.